Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Today, I am overjoyed.  I am proud that the Supreme Court of the United States has said that DOMA(the defense against marriage act) is unconstitutional.  " DOMA is unconstitutional as a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment."  
 I do not have words eloquent enough to say how happy this makes me.  People against equality make me angry.  We are all created equal and this is what the United States of America was founded on.  Equality.  People will always discriminate against others, be it women, blacks or homosexuals, but according to the law, we should all be equal, and today we are finally one step closer to equality for all.  Thank you to the Supreme Court justices who realized that you cannot specifically say that one group of people is not allowed to do something because another group of people is afraid of it.  It wasn't too long ago that interracial couples weren't allowed to wed.  Can you even imagine?  I certainly can't.  I hope that this ruling today paves the way for people to feel free to love freely.  I hope that my four children will not read headlines that state:I'm Gay, or First NBA Player Comes Out, or First Openly Gay Football Player in the NFL.  I hope they don't see these headlines because it will no longer be a big deal.  We won't need to know people are gay because it won't matter.  Gay kids won't be afraid to come out because of backlash from their communities.  People will practice the Bible they preach and leave the judging up to God.  
These are the glorious days when I am proud to be an American.  Love is blind, equality for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment